Sunday, we tried part two of The Pasta Experiment: Eating It!
I popped the pasta in a pot of boiling water until they floated to the top. In the mean time, I browned about 4 tbsp of unsalted butter (we only ended up using one tsbp per person, so really, I’d cut it in half next time) and added some sea salt and several pieces of sage. If you’ve never browned butter before, it’s pretty easy to do. Basically, just melt it on medium-low heat and keep cooking it until it foams. You should end up with a nice golden butter; sage goes incredibly well with the toasty flavor.
I ended up placing the cooked tortelloni in the pan with the butter and tossing them in it for a few minutes, so some of them got a little crust (which was nice). Then I served them with pork loin (which doubled for last night’s faux-“carnitas” burritos) and snap peas. Overall, the meal was really, really good. The pasta filling was excellent (despite being basically just out of a can – I think I added a touch each of nutmeg, garlic, and cracked pepper) and went extremely well with the browned butter.
Unfortunately the pasta was too thick for my taste, and I didn’t feel that it cooked as well as it should have; it was chewy and floury-tasting in some parts (others were perfect). I think that next time I make filled pasta I’ll have to be really careful to roll the pasta as thin as possible (I think that out of 7 settings, I left this pasta on the 5th) and have as little overlap as possible – the parts that weren’t folded over were not chewy.
Even so, I’d definitely reccommend trying this – canned pumpkin worked surprisingly well!